Sunday 18 February 2018

oil portrait stages one to three


First stage of tinting the canvas sheet using acrylic burnt sienna, this dries quickly. I then sketched in the portrait using pencil.  This is an important part of the portrait as it is important to make sure the features are drawn correctly and are that you are happy with the drawing.


The second stage of the portrait shows the face tones being painted in using oil paints. Using burnt sienna, naples yellow and titanium white for the light areas. For the dark areas add burnt umber and dioxazine purple. The hair was burnt sienna and ultramarine blue for the really dark areas I added some purple. The background was titanium white, naples yellow with a little blue in areas, I wanted a soft toned background at this stage. His clothing at this stage is using sap green and ultramarine blue with a little titanium white for the blue areas.




I added eye brows, facial hair and eyes which will be more defined in the next stage. I added a bit more paint to the face to create more natural skin tones. I have still the eyes to be more clearly defined and the clothing and background to change.  I will also work some more on the hair. In the next stage I would like to achieve a painterly effect without aiming for realism. There is always a concern the painting may well become too overworked.  I will also say at this point that I had to make up my own burnt umber using ultramarine blue and burnt sienna. For the dioxazine purple I used burnt sienna, ultramarine blue and a touch of manganese violet. Often when we come to do a painting we can realise we are short of some of the colours. If you have your primary colours you can mix many colours.  I didn't use any medium for this exercise as the oil paints had enough oil in them to be able to spread well on the canvas sheet. I did use a variety of paint brush sizes.  I will post the next stage this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment